Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Affirmations

I have used affirmations in the past to help me become something I wanted to be. I used affirmations about being a good student and ended up receiving the Distinguished Student of the Year award when I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree for the College of Health Sciences at the university I attended. I used affirmations to lose 15% body fat and get to a svelte 14% body fat in 12 weeks. Why is it that I find something that works... and then stop doing it?

Affirmations and visualization go together and are powerful tools in our brains. Think of the advertisements you know for Coca Cola, Toyota or Taco Bell. I can come up with slogans for all of these and I haven't had cable or local television stations for over three years. Advertising is powerful. Repetition works.

I am guilty of allowing other people to advertise in my brain and not intentionally putting things in that would help me or those around me. Listening to the radio on the way to work may seem like an innocent pass time, but it really is not. I am allowing someone else to put thoughts in my head. Rather than allowing this, I will go on a 30 day morning media break. During this time, I will learn a language or play the affirmations I have recorded.

Affirmation 1 "I am a strong, flexible, healthy woman and love to work out. I love the way my body feels when it is strong. I love the sense of flow I get from working out every day."

Affirmation 2 "I am intentionally adding things to my life that make it deeper and richer. I also intentionally free myself from things that could shrink my life by creating fear or protectiveness. I give all I can to others and find that my joy is full."

These may change a bit over time as I find the things I need help motivating myself to do. I will try to update them in real time. I will use my affirmations twice a day along with visualizing the thing I am trying to create. Do you use affirmations? If you do, what has been your experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment