Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Coping and finding a reason to live healthy

We went to a party on Friday, and I asked my husband what Mike's wife's name was.

"What's my microwave's name?" asks my deaf husband. "Sharp, I think." He also answers. With a straight face.

Oh boy.

So, this week is not a great one. I had bad news. The Neurosurgeon I saw at Mayo last summer looked at the recent MRI of my head and decided the narrowed vessel was worse and I need to go back to Mayo. For some people this would not be a big deal, but I live in Montana and Mayo clinic is in Minnesota, about a 1300 mile trip. It's 20 hours of driving. Boo.

The good news is that my husband does not have a hernia, so no expensive operation for him. Yay! And, I am finding that writing and the movie Despicable Me 2 are both good distractions from the troubles of bad health. Weirdly, it is not the health I am worried about, it's the damn money. The insurance is much worse in 2014 than it was this year, so it will be much more expensive. How will we do it?

How? I will write and write and write... to take my mind off of what I can't change. I will go to the doctor and let him do bypass surgery in my brain if that is what he wants to do so that I don't have a stroke... at forty two. And I will write. I will write to cope, I will write to live and I will write so that I don't disappear from the earth... at forty two.

So, it may be expensive, but it's better than waiting around to have a stroke. What I don't understand is why I went so long without having any trouble and suddenly I have more narrowing and more trouble. So, my goals this year are to eat better, move more, get back to being the in shape girl I was before I went to college and learned to sit around and think for a living, and learn to have less stress. 

I know that I did better while journalling, which habit I have kept and continue. So, I will start keeping a food journal and planning my exercise in it. It worked in the past. That which I obsess over, I succeed in doing. Strange but true.

If you want to come with me on this journey, I'll be checking in a couple of times a week. Come get healthy with me! Find your why. Mine is easy. I get healthy or I have a stroke. What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment