Monday, December 16, 2013

No Plan, No Gain and finding your WHY

I haven't done something this week and it has stopped me from being successful. I have a need to obsess a little. I know, that is an oxymoron (a little obsession?). But, if I am going to get in shape, I have to plan my meals and workouts every day. Every time I have done a transformation, I have had a plan.

So, I have to take this week to start thinking about how I want this planning to go. Shall I add it to the journal I use for everything else, writing, drawing, complaining, rejoicing? Will I hate later that I have to see boring lists of food and workout plans? Or is it a good idea because it will keep the goal in front of my face? I am thinking this week that I may plan in my regular journal. There is plenty of room. I bought a beautiful Italian made journal with slightly heavier paper that I can write in with ink, paint with watercolor if I'm careful, and even glue things into without getting the paper too wrinkly. It does wrinkle, but I like a little wrinkling. It makes me feel like the journal is truly mine. My old journal was about 144 pages. This one has over 400 pages. Lots of room to plan workouts and food.

During my last successful health transformation, I had a monthly calendar that I marked every day. One part of the x was for exercise, the other part for food and the third, a straight line through the middle, was for affirmations. All three were imperative to keep me going.

Many times in my life the concept of finding my why has come up. The thinking is if you find a big enough why, the rest is easy. I think that is right. The why is the big motivator. Why do I want to be healthy? Why do I want to eat better? But it isn't quite enough when it comes to getting the healthiest you can be. You have to sort through the piles of information and misinformation and then through some trial and error find out what works for your body.

So, this week is about finding the why. Getting it front and center whether that is in a journal like it will be for me, or maybe a goal poster would work better for you. That is a powerful way to give messages to your brain about where you are trying to go. Put pictures of what you want on the poster and then put it where you will see it often. Advertise in your own brain. Heavens knows everyone else is there often enough!

Thanks for coming on this journey with me. It has been a week without the gains I wanted. But, I tried to start in the middle and I know better. This week I will obsess a little, I will PLAN and I will write my WHY so it is clear and motivating.

3 comments:

  1. I like the more "journal" idea...something you can run your fingers over and add texture to...almost like scrapbooking (an abandoned obsession of mine since starting nursing school, which I may pick up now that THAT is done. Well, after NCLEX anyway). ;) This week I am going to work on fine-tuning my WHY. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...proofreading fail! The first sentence should read, "I like the more "tangible" journal idea.........sorry for the confusion. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marcy. I love my real journal. I know some folks like to do a digital recording of thoughts, but you miss out on a few things. There is no place to draw a map or put a blotch of color because the only description for the day is blue, and there is no place to put a business card or draw the CAT scan machine that is scaring you (have done both of these which helped with anxiety). You also can't tell if you were having a bad day. I can tell in my journal by my handwriting exactly what my day was like. And my journal may burn up in a fire, but the software I need to read it will never be obsolete. :)

    ReplyDelete